I’ve had this mix planned for some time, now, and as such it has undergone several changes. Originally it was planned that this collection of Current 93’s music would be accompanied by exclusive artwork, but due to my laziness that has yet to happen (once the artist hears the collection she may still lend the collection her talents). The mix is ready, now, so I hope that you enjoy it.
All the songs featured here are from out of print records or are from EPs, singles, or bootlegs that are terribly expensive if you can find them at all. My intent was to sequence Current 93’s music in a sensible and pleasing way and to emphasize the Christian imagery and ideas that populate so much of the band’s music. This is not a “best of” collection of Current 93’s earliest work, but a mix intended to intrigue listeners who may not be familiar with the music. Fans who already own everything from which this mix was constructed can download it and enjoy having a unique mix of songs from this period in Current 93’s history. Featured on these two “discs” are live versions of songs that would later become Current 93 staples (if you’ve never heard the acoustic version of “Horsey” before you’re in for a pleasant surprise), cuts from records often overlooked due to being limited or passed over in favor of Current 93’s more popular records, and a couple of songs from compilations that you’d have to be incredibly lucky to find for a good price.
If anyone from Jnana or Durtro sees this and has a problem with it being available, please email me and I will remove the link from the site. However, if you are from Jnana or Durtro and have any authority whatsoever, please consider reissuing the records from which this mix was made; while some have been available here and there as recently as 2001, they represent an all too overlooked period in Current 93’s development and should be more readily available than they are (especially Christ and the Pale Queens Mighty in Sorrow, Earth Covers Earth, and Horse). That being said, if you download and like this mix, please visit Jnana/Durtro or the record store of your choice and support Current 93’s continued existence. Links to their websites can be found in the sidebar to your right.
Thanks for visiting, I’ll talk to you all again in a couple of weeks.
01. Imperium I from Imperium (1987)
02. The Return of the Final Church from Crooked Crosses for the Nodding God (1989)
03. Time Tryeth Truth from Earth Covers Earth (1988)
04. Oh Merry-Go-Round from Island (1990, with Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson)
05. Christ and the Pale Queens from Christ and the Pale Queens Mighty in Sorrow (1988)
06. Salt from LAShTAL (1984)
07. Oh Coal Black Smith from Swastikas for Noddy (1988)
08. The Death of the Corn from As the World Disappears… (1991)
09. Looney Runes from from Looney Runes (1991)
10. Killykillkilly (A Fire Sermon) from Nightmare Culture (1985)
01. Imperium II from Imperium (1987)
02. Dogun from Christ and the Pale Queens Mighty in Sorrow (1988)
03. The Tree from Horse (1990)
04. Lament for Her from As the World Disappears… (1991)
05. Angel from Swastikas for Noddy (1988)
06. The Blue Gates of Death (Before and Beyond Them) from Earth Covers Earth (1988)
07. Hourglass for Rosy Abelisk from Earth Covers Earth (1988)*
08. Diana from Horse (1990)
09. Anyway, People Die from Island (1990, with Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson)
10. Horsey from As the World Disappears… (1991)
11. Benediction from Swastikas for Noddy (1988)
* This song wasn’t featured on Earth Covers Earth until the 1992 reissue on Durtro (DURTRO012CD). The song was recorded in 1989, however. I decided to keep it on the mix based on its recording date and the fact that it also appeared on a compilation called The Portable Altamont, which was released in 1991 by Shock Records.